Research Grants/ Awards
- MG -- ESA DATA ASSIMILATION PROJECTS - INTERFACING EO DATA WITH ATMOSPHERIC AND LAND SURFACE MODELS (¬£177K of 3MEuro) 2012-2014
- 2010-2012 ESA Globalbedo (Euro 1M)
2008-2013 [HB] NERC, National Centre for Earth Observation (NCEO) (Carbon Theme) Theme 2, NE/F001444/1 (2.25M, 193K)
- 2012-14 [MG] ESA Data Assimilation (UCL portion kEuro 241)
- 2008-2010 [GW] ESA ITT 5526 (ESRIN) 21428/08/NL/HE
ESA Radiative Transfer Modelling of Fire Impacts. 138K (with KCL, JRC, (SDSU))
- 2009-2010 [JB] ESA EOLDAS 22205/09/I-EC (UCL portion 37K)
- 2008-2010 [GG] NE/F001584/1, NERC QUEST, Fire Modelling & Forecasting System (FireMAFS) (~400K, 17K UCL portion, joint with Reading, KCL etc.)
- 2010-2011 [KF] NERC NE/H002685/1 Testing a multispectral lidar (Salford: UCL portion 4.3K)
- 2007-2008 CTCD Extension Oct'07-End Mar '08.
- 2007. NERC Centre for Earth Observation Instrumentatiion (CEOI) subcontract: A-scope atmospheric and canopy LIDAR. (~£40K UCL portion, administered through CTCD)
- 2006-2007 (9 months), NERC Centre of Excellence in EO: Centre for Terrestrial Carbon Dynamics (CTCD), continuation funding. (~£203K UCL funding (FEC))
2007-2010: DEFRA Research Grant (subcontract from CEH, Edinburgh) "UK LULUCF GHG Inventories (UK Kyoto reporting)" £UCL 15K
- 2006-2009: NERC International Polar Year: "Arctic Biosphere-Atmosphere Coupling across multiple Scales (ABACUS)". The project is joint with Edinburgh (lead: Mat Williams, one of our CTCD colleagues), Stirling, Durham, Macaulay, Sheffield & NERC CEH Edinburgh. There are also a large number of international collaborators on the project. The UCL component of the grant is around 200K I believe. The whole grant is considerably more (~£1.4M). joint with M. Disney.
- 2004-2007: NERC Capital Equipment Grant: "ASD
- 2004-2007: DEFRA Research Grant (subcontract from CEH,
Edinburgh) "UK LULUCF GHG Inventories" £15K
- 2003-2006: NERC Research Grant "SAR and Hyperspectral Crop
Monitoring using 3D Dynamic Vegetation Models and Numerical Solutions
to Radiative Transport" NER/Z/S/2002/00908, PI, with Dr. P Saich, UCL,
In collaboration with Dr. B. Andrieu, INRA, Grignon, Fr. and Dr. C.
Anderson (BAE Systems) £200K
- 2003-2004: BNSC NEWTON-2 Project "SAR and Hyperspectral
Interpretation of Vegetated Areas", with P. Saich (UCL), C. Anderson
(BAE Systems), M. Barnsley (UoW Swansea), £40K (UCL portion).
- 2001-2006: NERC Centre of Excellence in Earth Observation
Centre for Terrestrial Carbon Dynamics" (with Prof Shaun Quegan
(Sheffield Centre for Earth Observation Science, Sheffield), Prof C W
Anderson (Probability and Statistics, Sheffield), Mr Peter Freer-Smith
(Forestry Commission, Wrecclesham), Prof J Grace (IERM, Edinburgh),
Prof P Ineson (Dept of Biology, York), Prof P Lewis (Dept of Geography,
UCL), Prof A O'Hagan (Probability and Statistics, Sheffield), Prof F I
Woodward (Animal & Plant Sciences, Sheffield).) £2.25M (UCL
protion approx £450K)
- 2001-2002: ESA Research Contract AO/1-3679/00/NL/NB:
of Architectural Vegetation Growth Models for Remote Sensing
Applications", with Paul Saich (UCL), Peter Van Oevelen (WAU), Dirk
Hoekman (WAU), Martin Vissers (WAU), Ian Woodhouse (Edinburgh) 200
- 2000-2004: NERC Research Grant GR5/13193
(NER/Z/S/1999/00130): "Deriving estimates of land surface albedo, LAI,
fAPAR from a novel, pointable compact high resolution imaging
spectrometer (CHRIS) and physically-based BRDF models of vegetation
canopy reflectance." With Mike Barnsley, University of Wales, Swansea
- 1999-2004: NERC EOSI Lectureship award to Dept. Geography
(recipient P. Saich) £104K
- 1996: NERC Research Grant GR9/02/005 "Validation of
Physical Scattering Models using Monte Carlo Ray Tracing and Stereo
Photogrammetry." with J-P Muller (PI), Dept. Photogrammetry and
Surveying. - £23K. GRADE - good
- 1995 - 1999: EU Human Capital and Mobility Grant
"Monitoring Land Surface Parameters and Processes in Africa North of
the Equator." With Lund University, Sweden, University Catholique
Louvain, Belgium, Copenhagen University, Denmark, and Winnard Staring
Centre, Wageningen, the Netherlands. (PDRA: Encarna Vives de Lope) 105
Kecu (UCL protion)
- 1995 - 1996: NERC TIGER Research Grant GST/02/608
Determination of Albedo at Multiple Scales using Remotely-Sensed Data
and Physical Models of Surface Scattering". BRDF/Albedo inversion of
ground-based and ASAS data, mapping of albedo over the Sahel. (with
Mike Barnsley, University of Wales, Swansea, and J-P Muller, Dept.
Photogrammetry and Surveying, UCL) - Extension of £ 35K to
original £101K. GRADE - good.
Data funding/Science Teams:
- 2000+: NASDA ALOS (3 projects)
- 2000+: CHRIS-PROBA
- 2000: NERC/BNSC SHAC Campaign (airborne SAR/Hyperspectral).
- 1999+: ESA/EUMETSAT MSG data grant. Evaluation of MSG land
surface products With Marc Leroy (CESBIO), Fred Baret (INRA), J-L
Roujean (METEOFRANCE), Mike Barnsley (Swansea).
- 1999+: POLDER-II data grant. POLDER-II Science team member
With Mike Barnsley (Swansea) et al.
- 1995+: SPOT VEGETATION data grant. VEGETATION Science
team member. Determination and validation of Land Surface Biophysical
properties using SPOT 4 VEGETATION and HRVIR. With Mike Barnsley
(Swansea) et al.
- 1995+: POLDER data grant. POLDER Science team
member. With Mike Barnsley (Swansea) et al.
- 2001-2004: ENVISAT-AO data grant.ID: 507. Global 1.2 km
MERIS data for 3 years. Land surface albedo from MERIS reflectances
using MODIS directional factors. with W. Lucht, PIK Potsdam (PI), A.
Strahler, CRSA, Boston Univ. (C. Schaaf, CRSA Boston Univ. (awarded
- 1995+: NASA EOS MODIS BRDF/Albedo product science team
- 1992+: NERC Airborne Remote Sensing Facility/ NERC
Equipment Pool for Field Spectroscopy.Various